5 tips for a successful media plan and buy. The steps below are what I follow with all my clients, regardless of size.
- Know your audience. It’s best to know who you want to target at the start. Consider age, gender, income level, household income, job title/level, or other parameters that might fit best for your service or product.
- Figure out your budget. You can go down a long rabbit hole looking at various mediums and then realize you can’t afford to do most of them. Always research what specific mediums will work best for your audience first. Pull costs and analyze what makes the most sense for your budget and audience.
- Negotiate, negotiate, and negotiate. Always ask for a price decrease, and if someone won’t lower a price, ask for added value.
- Make sure to ask a lot of questions to your vendors. Many times, vendors make things more complicated than they have to be. Understand everything they are telling you. Sometimes when a client is going directly to a vendor, the vendor may take advantage and assume the client isn’t well-informed or savvy and not give them what they really deserve.
- Verify all your contracts are running correctly. Make sure the dollars are what you anticipated and make sure it aired when you wanted it to. Have vendors send contracts before anything airs, and have them follow up with invoices to make sure everything ran properly. I have seen things get very messy without this step.